1) Online registration
Please register via the "Apply here" button below and provide us with:
- your personal data, including your current university or institute affiliation and contact details
- Contact details of at least two referees. Your referees should be senior scientists (group leaders or professors) and know you well, preferably having supervised you during a research project.
We cannot consider applications until we have received at least two reference letters. Therefore, please ensure that you contact your referees before starting your application to inform them of your intention to apply to the IPP. Additionally, please make sure that they will be able to provide a reference in time. It is not possible to change your referees once you have completed the registration process. Your nominated referees will recieve a personalised link to the reference form. You will be notified by email when a reference letter has been submitted.
Importantly, once you have completed the registration form, you will immediately receive a link to your personalised online application form via email. Therefore, please make sure to check your spam folder if you have not received an email within an hour.
2) Online application form
The link to your personalized application form is located at the end of the email you receive after completing your registration. The application must be completed in English until 8 November 2023 (12:00 noon CET).
We recommend you to read the annotated application example, to help filling in your application (click here to download an example).
In the first step, you need to choose a password. It will allow you to access your application again in case you do not finish all steps of the application at once. Please, make sure you don’t forget your password.
Important: Once you have completed your application and submitted it via the online portal, you cannot access it any longer. Therefore, please make sure you have added and checked all important information before submission.
Information required for application:
- Details of your degrees (BSc, MSc)
- Details of any other post-graduate degrees, awards, honours or distinctions (description with a maximum of 250 words)
- Details on any research stay abroad during studies
- Details of past research experience
- A list of your publications (PubMed format, maximum of 300 words) and your conference contributions (title of presentation or poster, date and location of the conference)
- Which groups you are interested in working with; up to 5 may be selected. Please note: not all groups offer projects in every call!
- A motivational statement describing your interest in the IPP and your chosen groups as well as your scientific goals (maximum of 300 words)
Documents you need to upload in PDF format:
- Curriculum vitae (mandatory, max size 3 MB)
- A single file (max size 4 MB) containing:
- University studies as far as completed
(mandatory, including certificates of qualification and transcripts of records)
- English language test certificate (if available)
- High school certificate (if available)
Should degree forms and records from your university or high school certificates not be available in English, we do not require notarised translations for this application.
You must complete your application by 8 November 2023 in order to be considered for the current IPP Call. If you encounter any technical problems, please contact the IPP Office (Email).
3) Interview days
After a thorough evaluation of all applications, the top shortlisted students will be invited for interviews at IMB in Mainz from 22-24 January 2024. Costs for accommodation and travel to on-site interviews (also intercontinental) are covered by the IPP.
The interview days will give you a chance to get to know the IPP, the IPP student community, Mainz and your prospective new working group. You are expected to give a short presentation and you will have interviews with several of our IPP group leaders, to ensure unbiased evaluation of your performance. We conclude our interview days with a farewell party which is joined by many IPP students.