IMB coordinates a number of joint research initiatives with institutions in Mainz (Johannes Gutenberg University, the University Medical Centre, and the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research) and beyond. These initiatives forge links within the molecular biology community and provide funding for research positions, shared core facilities, and training in transferable skills. Some of IMB's joint initiatives are listed here, and below is a map of the local research environment (larger PDF version).
- SFB 1361 on "Regulation of DNA Repair and Genome Stability"
- GeneRED, a research focus on Gene Regulation in Evolution and Development
- International PhD Programme
- International Summer School, an annual six-week research experience for students
- Advanced Training Programme, short courses in soft skills