WELCOME TO THE 2017 IMB CONFERENCE WEBPAGE!
19-21 June 2017
The focus of the 2017 IMB Conference is on “Gene Regulation by the Numbers: Quantitative Approaches to Study Transcription”.
The conference will explore the latest findings and technological developments in the field of gene regulation. The regulation of gene expression is a highly complex process in which numerous different factors play a role, such as signalling pathways, transcription factors and epigenetic modifications. With the recent surge in the development of omics technologies, researchers have generated vast amounts of data describing the contribution of these factors to controlling gene activity. However, interpreting, validating and integrating the data remains a major challenge. A combination of quantitative analysis and experimental research is therefore crucial to draw a complete picture of gene regulation.
The conference will address major open questions in the field that quantitative approaches will help to address, for example:
- How do gene regulatory networks make robust decisions in the face of intracellular and environmental fluctuations?
- How do epigenetic mechanisms ensure that gene expression programmes are faithfully transmitted within cell lineages and from one generation to the next?
- How do RNA-RNA and RNA-protein interactions control gene expression at the post-transcriptional level?
- How do DNA sequence variations influence gene expression and phenotypic outcomes, and what are the long-term consequences of this on an evolutionary time scale?
- How can dynamic models help us to understand signalling, gene regulation and cell fate decision making?
- Can we improve the speed and accuracy of existing data analysis strategies?
- What are the upcoming challenges in data analysis?
This conference will be a unique opportunity for participants to learn about the latest discoveries, talk about their own findings and initiate research partnerships. As well as scientific sessions, there will be many networking opportunities, including poster sessions, a conference dinner and an excursion to nearby Kloster Eberbach monastery. We hope that the ideas and concepts developed during the conference will result in exciting collaborations. Anyone interested is welcome to attend and can register online.
Registration and abstract submission
Registration and abstract submission for the 2017 IMB Conference is now open!
The abstract deadline has been extended to 17 May. Submit your abstract now!
Please click here to register
The 2017 IMB Conference is delighted to announce the following keynote speakers:
- Eileen Furlong, European Molecular Biology Institute (EMBL), Heidelberg, Germany
- Amos Tanay, Weizmann Institute, Rehovot, Israel
Click here for a full list of conference speakers.
The conference will take place from 19 - 21 June 2017 at the Institute of Molecular Biology (IMB), Mainz, Germany. Most of the conference will be dedicated to plenary lectures from invited speakers as well as short talks. Short talks will be invited based on submitted abstracts and speakers will be chosen to ensure the topics presented are at the cutting edge of research and are complementary to the plenary lectures. There will also be a poster session where selected participants can present their research.
The schedule also includes social activities, such as a welcome reception, lunch and coffee breaks as well as an afternoon sightseeing excursion and conference dinner. These events will ensure that there will be plenty of opportunities for informal discussions and networking.
A preliminary conference schedule is available here.
We are grateful to the Boehringer Ingelheim Foundation (BIS), who are supporting the Keynote Lectures and Short Talks in celebration of their 40th Anniversary.
The target audience of the conference is scientists and researchers who focus on or have an interest in using quantitative approaches to study gene regulation. These topics are also relevant to medical research and the conference will therefore also be of interest to clinical researchers and representatives from the pharmaceutical industry.
Click here to see the sponsors of the 2017 IMB Conference.
Further information and contact
Download the 2017 conference poster here.